Sunday, November 11, 2007

Wholemeal Bread

This is my usual breakfast!
This loaf will last me a week as there is no one in the family will share this super healthy bread with me. I will normally eat them with some margerine!

I could not wait till it's cooled before slicing them.. This is very soft and it's not easily sliced.

Ingredients cater for 1 loaf tin:
125gm bread flour
125gm whole wheat flour
50gm WholeGrain Toppings from RedMan
40gm butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
40gm brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp instant dry yeast

How I do it:
1. Mix water, sugar, egg, dry yeast in a large bowl. Beat at low speed until well blended. Add the flour, change to medium speed until well the dough is smooth. Cut in the butter at low speen until well mixed. Again change to medium speed and mix until the dough can be stretched into a thin sheet.
2. Remove from mixer and place in a greased bowl, cover with damp cloth and let rise for 90mins.
3. Divide the dough into 3 portion, knead dough into ball and let rest on the working table for 10mins. Use rolling pin to roll up each portion place dough on a greased baking sheet to rest for 15 to 20mins.
4. With a rolling pin, roll each dough into square piece and roll up tightly. Place them into the baking tin, cover with damp cloth and let it rise till abt 90% of the tin.
5. Sprinkle some WholeGrain Toppings on the top and place them in the oven (preheat to 170deg c) and bake for 25 to 30mins (or golden brown).

13 comments:

sherlyn said...

I aso like this kind of healthy bread and similarly no one shares this kind of bread wif me, so i cant buy it. A pity u stay so far.

Can the bread be made smaller?

JY said...

So far, I notice my homemade bread can only last 3 days, after which, they will have to be store in fridge, just heat up before serve will do.

Aimei said...

Hey your loaf looks really good. I like to eat this kind of bread too. I'm the only one in the family who likes to eat this kind of bread and most of the time I would keep toasting it to try and finish it off for my breakfast. Somehow homemade bread taste good to me. :) Any recipe to share for this loaf? :)

JY said...

Aimei,

Recipe posted.

shernsey_ said...

Hi, I was wondering if I could substitute the butter for oil? To make it healthier!

JY said...

Hi Shernsey,

Thanks for dropping by, I have no idea for the substitute, you can give it a try & tell me the result? HOwever, all ingredients I choose butter that is less salt or unsalted, this way, it's more healthy than salted butter. Otherwise, u can use margerine.

serena said...

Hi! Can I know whether the top grains can also be added into the dough? Also, is it possible to use the bread machine to knead? I'm kind of a lazy baker. He..he...

JY said...

Hi Serena,

I think both are possible.. there should be a function in the bread machine for wholemeal bread. As for the ingredients, I just try.

sherlyn said...

jy, just read the recipe again. It says add toppings on top but i see yr bread got grains inside leh. So it means i can also add the grains inside hor.

Btw, your "mixer" is it the ordinary mixer or is it the bread machine mixer.

Also how big is yr bread loaf pan?
I hv a small one and so i m not sure how shd i adjust the recipe amount.

sherlyn said...

Jy,

I want to ask if you add the grains into the dough as well. Recipe seem to say only put as topping but I can see you hv it inside the bread too (more tasty this way leh).

Also, the mixer u mention in this post, is it a normal mixer or do u mean a bread machine ?

How big is your loaf pan? I hv a small loaf pan, maybe for that of a banana cake. Can use? half the current recipe?

JY said...

Sherlyn,

I add the toppings into the dough as well, it taste wonderful. I have used the PullMan Pan for this loaf. Shd be ok to use the cake loaf, think dun even need to half the recipe. Alternately, you can shape it into small oblong shape and place on greased flat baking sheet during the second proofing, and send to oven after that.

JY said...

Sherlyn,

I do not use the bread machine to knead the dough, however, I have a heavy duty mixer for bread kneading tho.

Kitchen Corner said...

Hello JY's Baking,
I like your wholemeal bread. It looks very soft although it's containing fifty percent of wheat flour. I have been looking for many wholemeal bread but the texture is quite dense and solid if the bread contains more wheat. I shall try your soft wholemeal bread recipe one day. Cheers!