Sunday, November 4, 2007

Hokkaido Milky Loaf

Bought the Pullman pan & I could not wait any longer to use it, hence, ask my helper to make the dough this morning, while I send my girl to her piano class. The timing will be just nice for the dough to raise & I will do the punching and rolling of the dough when I got back in 1hr later.
As the pullman pan is the smaller one, I used half the recipe as in this website.
Except that I did not really follow the rolling method closely. After punching out the gass, I divided the dough into 3 portions and rolled them into a ball and let them rest (without cover) for 20mins. Then, I just flaten each ball and rolled them into oblong twice.
I only start to heat up my oven when it raised to this stage:
Hence, I could not put the pan into the oven immediately and it has more time to raise. The pan is overloaded. And it did not turn brown, I put back to bake for another 15mins with the Fan.
I was disheartened when I open the cover as the top is not nicely brown.
I do want to let it bake any longer, so I decided to turn the bread out. I was delighted when I turned it over!
Yeah! I have a nice square loaf of bread!
After 15mins, not completely cooled, I slice the bread!
I purposely leave the last slice thick to make a teabreak for myself!

4 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

Hi JY, your loaf looks lovely, and it's a perfect square! :) Maybe next time you can increase your oven temperature (do u have an oven thermometer, it helps to make sure u get the right temperature) so that the bread can brown faster?

JY said...

Thanks HHB,

For this bake, I use the conventional oven without the fan. Maybe, this is the reason that it did not brown faster. I do not have oven thermometer, but my oven will auto regulate the temperature.

Quote from my manual:
"For this type of cooking with a fan positioned at the back allows the circulation of hot air inside the oven, creating uniform heat. In this way, cooking is more rapid than conventional cooking."

sherlyn said...

Wow, congrats. Perfect square. I had read that it is not easy to bake a perfect square bread. And I love the egg toast. Keen to but yet to try it.

My mum is into baking bread too, but she bakes mostly buns. Her bread dough has never risen before even thou she put it inside the fridge for the stated time.

Do you need a bread machine to make all breads even buns like yours?

JY said...

Hi Sherlyn,

I only use the heavy duty mixer to mix the dough, prooving is done at room temp, cover with damp cloth for abt 90mins.

Think cannot put the dough in fridge to proof.. and the water u use must be at room temperature.