Saturday, November 3, 2007

Pandan Chiffon Cake

I made my 1st chiffon cake today!
Despite some downs during the process, but I think I did it right this time at least for the taste & texture!

While separating the egg white, there is trace of egg yolk in them, luckily, it did not affect the result of proper whisking of egg white to stiff peak form.

I have used a non-stick tube pan , not sure if this is the course for non-brown outer surface after the cake is removed from the pan. The cake starts to fall off the tube when it's not even cooled, hence, I have to remove the pan immediately (is this a wrong move?) Once, I did that, it immediately sinks, so disheartened.
Look how ugly the cake has turn out!

Downs: As I did not assemble the tube pan properly and the batter leaks from the bottom of the pan (just realised that the base is dented!). However, the balance of the batter is still able to fill up to the top of the pan, which makes me so delighted. So, I have to place another pan below to hold the tube pan before all the batter leaks out, this results not enough circulation of heat around the cake!

This recipe is adopted from Aunty Yochana's blog.

Ingredients for egg yolk mixture:

6 egg yolks

2 Tbsp. Pandan juice (Blend 4-5 pandan leaves with water, then squeeze out the juice)

150 ml. coconut milk

1/4 tsp. salt

4 tbsp. Conala oil

1 tsp. 'Red Man' Green Pandan Flavoured Paste

1/4 tsp. Pandan Flavour

70 gm. caster sugar

140 gm. Top flour

Ingredients for the Egg White Mixture:

6 egg white

1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar

90 gm. caster sugar

Method:

(1) Mix all the egg yolk ingredients together and stir till smooth.

(2) Whisk egg white with cream of tartar and gradually pour in the sugar. Whisk at high speed until frothy and stiff peak forms.

(3) Gently fold egg yolk mixture with egg white mixture until blended.

(4) Pour into a 9" (23 cm) tube pan. Bake at 170C for about 40 to 45 min.s or until cooked.

(5) Remove from oven, invert cake onto cooling rack until completely cooled before removing from the pan.

(6) Slice and serve.

7 comments:

sherlyn said...

Hmm pretty high cake hor .. tasty right? I like mine too even thou it is so flat! Anyway my mother just bought the tube pan 9silver one) just now, will try soon, hopefully monday. I was told by my sil that brown pans (cake pan she refers) shd not be non stick, cos will brown the cake faster ... anyway i also support non stick items hahaha. so u gog to buy another silver one to test out?

Aimei said...

Hmmm..I don't know what kind of pan you are refering to but I guess non stick pan would not be that good since we need the cake to stick onto the pan in order to hold its shape. Don't be disheartened. Your first try is already very good..almost there. :) I don't know how many times I've failed and still trying now. At least you've got the egg whites right. :)

Small Small Baker said...

Hm... maybe it's because of the oven setting and the non stick pan. Hope to see you try again. I like the nice pandan green colour. Did u add any colouring? I also wannt try the pandan chiffon. :)

JY said...

Thanks all for visiting.

Sherlyn, I brought the cake to my siblings & mom, they really like the taste.
Looks like I really need to get another tube pan for chiffon cake, as the base cannot be leveled since it's dented.

Aimei,

The cake does climb up the tube & side of the pan. But when turned upside down, it does not hold long.

SSB,

With consent from Aunty Yochana, I have the modified recipe posted.

shiyan said...

Hi JY

Just found your blog and I must say that you really have a nice blog. Your pullman loaf is perfect!!!

By the way, just my two cents worth on pandan chiffon cake...

I agree with aimei that non-stick pan is not very suitable for chiffon cake. When the cake is inverted after baking, it needs to stick to the sides of the pan so as to allow the air bubbles in the cake to continue to stretch. This gives the soft and fluffy texture found in chiffon cake.

Also, i felt another possible reason why the cake fell off is that it might not be baked enough. I see that the sides are not "browned" enough. Maybe you might want to bake longer in your next attempt?

JY said...

Shiyan,

Thanks for visiting and thanks for the advice, I think I have to throw away my non-stick tube pan & must find a good reason for buying new pan..

shiyan said...

Oh JY, you can still keep the pan actually. Can use it to bake other stuff, like bread rolls. Quite convenient especially when you dun need to grease the pan. =)